Memorial Day Weekend is typically the kick-off to the summer season here in Walworth County. With the drastic changes brought on by COVID-19, our holiday will definitely look a little different this year, but that does not mean we cannot have fun. Here are six ideas to help celebrate Memorial Day safely here in Walworth County:
- Grillouts Galore: Grillmasters across the county are getting ready to fire up their grills. Whether you’re cooking for two or (a socially distant) ten, be sure to pick up your favorite steaks, burgers, and sausages curbside from Lake Geneva Country Meats and Wilson Farm Meats. Don’t forget the condiments from Lake Geneva Cannery! Be sure to place your orders before May 25th!
- Donuts, Drive Thrus, and Pies: If you missed out on the Mother’s Day Orchard Drive Thru at Royal Oak Farm Orchard, you’re in luck! Stop by Saturday May 23rd, between 9am and 4pm for a scenic drive through the orchards and a donut fundraiser. For every order of donuts placed, $2 of the proceeds will be donated to the Folds of Honor Foundation. Additionally, the first 100 veterans or active duty military to visit the orchard will receive a FREE slice of apple pie. Pre-orders are strongly encouraged as this event is sure to sell out!
- Decorate with Locally Made Decor: Redecorating your deck can bring new life and energy into your living spaces. You’re probably going to be spending more and more time in your own backyard this summer, so why not spruce up your space with unique patriotic and summer pieces from local artists and craftsman at the Cornerstone Shop and Gallery. Shop online for curbside pickup, or take a peek in person.
- Boatin’ and Floatin’: Wether you are launching your own boat from Gage Marine, renting a sanitized stand-up paddle board from Marina Bay Boat Rentals, or simply inflating your own inner tube, enjoy the water and try to remain socially distant.
- Afternoon Strolls: Walworth County has plenty of scenic paths perfect for an afternoon walk. Stroll the streets of Downtown Delavan or hike the banks of White River County Park. Consider planning your route through a nearby cemetery to pay respect to fallen heroes who may be laid to rest there.
- Bottles and Bonfires: Do your memorial day plans call for relaxing fireside with a nice bottle of wine? Pick up your favorite blend from or try something entirely new from our favorite local wineries. Between Staller Estate Winery, Studio Winery, The Bottle Shop, and Northleaf Winery, you’re sure to find your new summer drink!
No matter your plans may be, stay safe and continue to practice your best social distancing techniques. What are your plans for Memorial Day Weekend? Let us know in the comments below.