National Travel and Tourism Week (May 3rd-9th), is the annual celebration of the contributions and accomplishments of the U.S. travel industry. This week long celebration will spotlight resilience and hope in the face of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic with this year’s theme being “the Spirit of Travel.”
Celebrated annually the first full week in May, National Travel and Tourism Week was created by Congress in 1983 to showcase the economic power of travel in the U.S. The 37th National Travel and Tourism Week, arrives at an opportune moment to unite the industry, celebrate its unwavering spirit and elevate the role it will play in America’s economic and employment recovery.
While we may not get to celebrate together we can embrace the Spirit Of Travel digitally here in Walworth County.
By The Numbers
Each year, the Wisconsin Department of Tourism releases an annual economic impact study. This year’s report continues to show Walworth County’s strength. This is the 10th consecutive year Walworth County has seen an increase in tourism growth.
In Walworth County:
- Direct Visitor Spending totaled $584.5 million – up 2.7% from 2018.
- Tourism supported 7,123 full-time jobs – up 1.81% from 2018.
- Labor Income from tourism totaled $204.1 million – up 4.84% from 2018.
- State and Local taxes generated from tourism totaled $69.4million – up 1.85% from 2018.
- Total Business Sales sourced from tourism totaled $784.9 million – up 2.96% from 2018.
Statewide, traveler spending generated $1.6 billion in state and local tax revenue and $1.3 billion in federal taxes. Tax revenue generated by tourism offset $687 in taxes per household. Last year, tourism achieved a Return on Investment of 8 to 1: $8 in tax revenue per $1 promotional spend. Additional economic impact findings, including individual county figures are also available at www.Industry.TravelWisconsin.com.
How to Celebrate
This year, National Travel and Tourism Week is more important than ever. It is the #SpiritOfTravel that unites us together and inspires millions each and every day. We are proud to celebrate all those in our community—and nationwide—who carry the #SpiritOfTravel forward during this year’s National Travel and Tourism Week.
We may not be able to go out and enjoy our favorite attractions, dine at our favorite restaurants, or shop till we drop at our favorite stores, we can still embrace the Spirit of Travel from our own homes.
Here are ten ideas to partake in National Travel and Tourism Week at home:
- Order Up: Order takeout from your favorite local restaurant or recreate your favorite dish at home! Check out our list of Walworth County restaurants offering takeout and curbside options.
- Take A Virtual Tour: No need to pack a bag for this big adventure, check out our virtual Rustic Road Trips or take a lake tourwith Lake Geneva Cruise Line.
- Plan Your Next Getaway: Download a copy of our digital travel guide to get you inspired for next trip to Walworth County.
- Recreate An Experience: Looking for something to do inside? We’re challenging you to recreate your favorite landmark, shop, or business at home. Tag us in your creations at @visitwalworthcounty.
- Shop Small: Missing your favorite boutique? Shop online with the Cornerstone Shop, Candle Mercantile, Jones Market, and many many more to pick up some goodies. Go ahead, treat yourself.
- Share Your Memories: We want to hear from you all about your favorite vacation memories! Share with us your photos and stories on social media with the tag #visitwalworthcounty.
- Get Your Creativity On: Grab your crayons, sharpen your colored pencils, and bust out your markers, its time to Color Walworth County. Choose from over forty coloring pages featuring your favorite places. Share your finished creations on our Facebook page.
- Be Social: Use our Instagram and Facebook Story template to to tag your favorite tourism businesses in the blanks. Don’t forget to tag us!
- Use Zoom Backgrounds: Shake things up on your next Zoom call with our Walworth County Zoom Backgrounds. Pick from five local destinations and follow these simple instructions to load them into your account:
- Once in a meeting, click the camera icon and Choose Virtual Background
- Click the + icon (make sure to allow Zoom to access your images)
- Select our image to put yourself in Walworth County.
- Tune Into Walworth County Live: Take a few minutes and relax lakeside by viewing our Geneva Lake FacebookLIVE recorded on Friday May 1st. Or tune in Friday May 8th at 11am to join us as we livestream from Community Park in Delavan.
We hope these ideas and activities inspire you with the #SpiritOfTravel. From all of us at Visit Walworth County, happy National Travel and Tourism Week!
Save The Instagram Template Here:
Download Zoom Backgrounds Here: